As promised… here are the fantabulously amazing, awesome, fibre-packed, super-healthy, vitamin-filled, and oh-so-adorable… Whole Wheat and Spelt Flour Orange-Carrot-Apple-Cranberry-Buttermilk-Sunflower-Oatmeal Mini Muffins!
-pause to take breath-
Or, as I prefer to call them, Everything But the Kitchen Sink Muffins.
But before you get the muffins, you get a story. Forced upon you, I know.
I love muffins. Love them. And I’ve always wanted to try something made with spelt, being the health nut I am. And so, my Auntie Sue found a recipe online, which we just barely followed. I mean, we added our own ingredients, ingredient quantities, and … just about everything else. Once we got back from church, devoured some mexican quesadillas my aunt made (we both have an undying love for anything wrapped in tortillas) and had watched an interview from Jay Leno she had recorded for me on her all-new PVR, we set to work.
And then once the first last batch was baking in the oven, she started complaining about more ingredients we should have added in, which I’ve included on my updated list.
My aunt’s probably the healthiest person in our family, other than me. And that’s saying something. Anyways, the bottom line is, grab the crap you have in your pantry, grab someone you love, and don’t eat all of these in an entire sitting!
Everything But The Kitchen Sink Mini-Muffins
Makes 36 mini-muffins, or about 12 regular muffins
- 1cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3cup wheat germ (preferably toasted)
- 3/4cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- scant 1/3cup sugar
- 2tbsp flaxmeal
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/2cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2tsp cinnamon (not included in our batch)
- 3/4cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/3cup buttermilk
- 3tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1tbsp grated orange zest
- 1tsp pure orange extract
- 1/4cup grated carrot
- 1/4cup grated apple
- Toast oats on a cookie sheet in a pre-heated 350*F oven for about 5-6 minutes. If using untoasted wheat germ, heat in a dry frying pan on High for about 5 mins, stirring frequently.
- Raise oven temperature to 375*F.
- Combine dry ingredients (the grated apple, carrot & orange zest do not count as dry; the berries do!) in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients, minus the egg, in a smaller mixing bowl. Beat egg in separate bowl until white + yolk are just mixed. Add egg to wet ingredients.
- Create a small “well” in the dry ingredients, then pour your liquid mixture into the centre.
- Mix all ingredients together until you can no longer see any wet flour.
- Grease 3 mini-muffin tins very very well with Pam (or another vegetable oil spray). If you have fewer than 3, the muffins can be done in batches, so long as the tin is re-greased each time.
- Place muffin tins in oven, bake for 20mins.
I’ve calculated the nutrition facts for you all 🙂