You’ve seen them – they’re everywhere. Smoothies have taken over the general public, and they’re slurping them up thinking, “Hey, this is healthy and tasty!”
Tasty? Yes. Healthy? Goodness, no!
Fast food and doughnut joints like McDonalds & Tim Hortons have recently started new lines of smoothies, and one of their most popular flavours is Strawberry-Banana. Order it from there? You get something very tasty in under a minute. Make it at home? You get something just as tasty (if not more!) in about 2-3 minutes. I’d choose the latter.
You see, when you make it yourself, you know exactly what’s going into it. Restaurant chains say that you get a whole serving of fruit – but it’s ixnayed by all of the sugars, preservatives and artificial flavourings that’re knocked into there.
So, I know that there are about 250,000 other web-pages and blogs that could tell you how to make this kind of smoothie, and some probably taste better than mine. But what I’m here for is just this, to spread my ideas to the world. And smoothies just happen to be a forte of mine.
- 1 medium banana (pre-frozen and cut up; about 8 chunks)
- 7-9 average-sized strawberries (increase amount accordingly if the berries are abnormally large/small; cold but not frozen)
- 1/2 cup Silk PureAlmond almond milk
- 1/4 cup white cranberry juice (Ocean Spray is preferred by me, but there are lots of others)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (of course, freshly squeezed from an actual lemon is unparalleled, but I suppose ReaLemon is the leading substitute)
- a pinch of salt
- Whey protein powder (Optional) (The best is Precision All-Natural, which is raised without any artificial growth hormones and contains no artificial colour/flavour)
- Pour almond milk and white cranberry juice into blender
- Pop fruits into blender
- Fasten lid onto blender and use ice crusher until fruit is light pink (at this point, add just a little more almond milk, depending on how thick or thin you want your smoothie)
- Puree until smooth, about 6-9 seconds
- Add lemon juice, salt and whey
- Puree for another 5 seconds or so, until smooth
- Pour and enjoy
Note that there will be strawberry seeds in the mixture; if you want you can strain it, but it will take a while…